Community & Economic Development
Passport To The Maker's Universe
The Office of Community and Economic Development and the NoCo Manufacturing Partnership teamed up at the NoCo Mini Maker Faire on October 4 in Loveland, Colorado to help young students explore exciting career options in manufacturing and making.
Middle and high school students attending the faire received a pocket-sized passportto guide them in their discovery of the 4 major planets of the Maker’s Solar System, including questions to ask makers about what they do and how they got there. After some prompted reflection, students were rewarded with a drawstring backpack for their efforts.
Students told us:
- “I was surprised by how much fun it could be to make things.”
- “I learned how to make a circuit.”
- “I learned that makers can be anybody from anywhere.”
- “I want to know more about 3D printing.”
- “I want to know how these concepts get funded.”
- “I want to know how I can be a Maker!”
By reframing the traditional career ladder metaphor as a solar system, our office promoted the promise of the Colorado (and national) manufacturing industry with local families, emphasizing its multiple points of entry, solid pay and diverse opportunities for career advancement.
Thank you to our partners and sponsors: NoCo Manufacturing Partnership, Dave Carlson - Moyer Machine And Tool, Super Vac Manufacturing, AME, Inc., and Vergent Products.
Colorado Maker Hub looking to offer a full slate of year-round programming
Agriculture experts see collaboration as key to growth
Colorado Apparel Manufacturing Summit reveals promise and possibilities
In highly educated Larimer County,skills gap persists
CSU program brings assistance, opportunity to farmers
CED Making Connections
Representatives of the Office of Community and Economic Development will be involved in various upcoming outreach efforts, including:
- Oct. 13-20 – Attend First International Conference on “Modern Agricultural Extension and Technology Transfer”. Ahnui Agricultural University, China
- Nov. 9-12 – Attend Colorado State University Extension Forum. Campus