Ram Tour 2016
Rams in the Rockies 2016 Engagement Tour
Mountains, Resources, and People
CSU Provost Rick Miranda, Vice President for Engagement Lou Swanson and Associate Provost for Instructional Innovation Mike Palmquist led the fourth annual CSU faculty Ram Tour to Steamboat Springs on August 11 and 12. CSU Extension, Colorado State Forest Service, and The Nature Conservancy were among the hosts and presenters for the faculty group as they visited a Longmont-area farm and helped to open the Jefferson County Festival and Fair before reaching Steamboat Springs. Along the way, faculty learned about farming and gardening on the Front Range, forest health, and recreation management from community leaders and CSU partners. CSU Extension staff from Boulder, Jefferson, Jackson, and Routt counties all participated in hosting this year’s tour.
The CSU Ram Faculty Engagement Tour is a two-day traveling seminar designed for recently hired and newly tenured faculty, new administrators, and new student leaders. Invitations are issued through the CSU Provost Office.
“I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet faculty from across campus, as well as the extension partners around the state” said Lisa Kutcher, CSU Professor of Accounting. “Even if you are not sure how this ties into your research or teaching activities, this is a fun and worthwhile experience – whether you are new to CSU or an experienced faculty member.”
Each year, the tour travels through a Colorado region to meet CSU community partners, talk with current CSU students and alumni, and learn from regional leaders. The tour deepens participants' understanding of CSU's existing community partnerships and provides opportunities to network within and across faculty cohorts. The tour is supported by the Vice President Office of Engagement and CSU Online.
2016 Tour Stops:
- Rocky Mountain Fresh Farms, Longmont (https://www.facebook.com/rockymountainfresh/)
- Jefferson County Fair and Extension Office (http://www.celebratejeffco.com/default.aspx)
- Steamboat Community Garden (https://www.facebook.com/Community-Roots-Garden-Steamboat-Springs-CO-143337682348055/)
- Carpenter Ranch, Steamboat (http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/colorado/placesweprotect/carpenter-ranch.xml)
- Moose Visitor Center, Gould (http://www.colorado.com/historic-places-districts/moose-visitor-center-state-forest-state-park)
- Colorado State Forest Service Field Office, Steamboat District (http://csfs.colostate.edu/districts/steamboat-district/)